Our History

PLANTING

As early as 1912, several believers, the Hocking family in particular, lived in Barrington and traveled from Barrington to Philadelphia to obey the Bible in the remembrance of the Lord Jesus with fellow Christians at 20th and Dickinson. Several of these men traveled to work together as well. They would bring their Bibles and have a Bible reading on the train. Another man, a neighbor, traveled with them and became interested in them. He asked to join the readings and in Feb 13,1913, he was saved. That man was Gustav Eisle. Later, cottage meetings were held in their home by Wm Beveridge. They traveled together then via train, ferry, and trolley to meet with the assembly downtown. The number of believers in this group grew during the period of 1913-15. On June 6, 1915, the assembly met for the first time in the Barrington Fire Hall at Haines and Second. It was comprised of about 25 people at the outset.

PROGRESS and PRESERVATION:

In 1919 or 1920, a church building on Kingston Ave became available for use. It was bought by Wm Anderson and the assembly met there from 1920 through 1997. Some of the early overseers were Mr Wm Moon, Samuel Hocking, David McClintock, and Tom McCobb. In 1928 gospel meetings by John Conway and R.T. Halliday saw a large number saved. Another series in 1933 by Robt Young saw others added. Shortly after that series, Robt Young moved to the Camden assembly for a series and saw others saved, including some who would make up the future of the Barrington assembly. This is a unique feature of the relationship which has existed between the two assemblies through the years. Their histories in many ways are interwoven. A similar series by Eric McCullough and Lorne McBain in 1963 in Pennsauken saw this again. Much of the recent growth is attributable to the work each summer, consistently by Gene Higgins. Some of the names of those who were a help to the assembly during its early years and who were instrumental in the preservation of the testimony include: George Duncan, the late David Oliver, Fred Watson, Robt Telfer, McEwens, Kellers, James McCulolough, David Calderhead, John Watt, W P Douglas and others.

PERSONALITIES:

We do not want to draw attention to men, since we all own that the work is of God. Yet just as the days of Ezra and Nehemiah saw individuals raised up for specific times, so in the history of assemblies there are individuals who are raised up of God for specific works: Samuel Hocking – a man whose life was devoted to the assembly

  • Wm Moon – went on to found the Home at Longport
  • Uncle Tommy Williams – came into fellowship in 1939.
  • Wm Scott – served as Correspondent, SS superintendent, a gifted and godly man who steered the assembly through some difficult times as well as times of growth.

PRESENT:

We sold the old Kingston Ave hall in 1997 and began a rebuilding process. The new building was finished in early 2000. It has been the home of the Barrington assembly since then.

PROSPECTS:

We are singularly blessed and with a deep sense of humility and in the fear of God can say that in some ways the assembly has never had a brighter prospect. A number of young believers both in assembly fellowship and some seeking to come into fellowship; a number of young couples who are giving themselves to the assembly; a spirit of unity and mutual helpfulness amongst the believers.

Ps 126:3 “The Lord hath done great things for us; whereof we are glad.”

Recent Messages